If you have forgotten or lost your “caroot” password, you can reset this. See the instructions below:
1. Open a command prompt on the server where you want to change/reset the caroot password.
2. In the command prompt browse to the drive where you have Brightstor ARCserve installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\CA\…)
3. Once in the ARCserve folder type in the following: cstop
4. This will stop all the ARCserve services that are running.
5. When all services are stopped, open the Windows Explorer and browse to the folder:
x:\Program Files\CA\BrightStor ARCserve Backup\Data\Discovery
Here you will find a folder that has the name of your server.
6. Rename this folder.
7. Back in the command prompt type in the following: cstart
8. This will start the ARCserve services that were stopped in item 4.
9. Still in the command prompt type in the following:
Authsetup/p “password” where “password” is what you want the new password to be.
10. Close the command prompt and open Brightstor ARCserve Manager with the new password.